History

Historical Evolution:

In times of the Ancient Regime, O Pino belonged to the Province of Santiago, although with certain peculiarities, as we will see later. After the promulgation of the Constitution of 1812, it becomes integrated into the single Province of Galicia. Later, when Galicia is divided into four provinces, are promulgated two Royal Decrees, one in 1822 and another in 1833, which placed the council within the Province of A Coruña, to which it still belongs.

Previously, in 1820, the Provincial Council distributed the territory into judicial districts. Initially, O Pino was included in the Sar. Its nomenclature was the Council of San Vicente do Pino. Later, with a new distribution in 1834, we spent part of the judicial party of Arzúa. There was a change of Santiago in 1965, but only lasted 23 years, since the Law 38/1988 of 28 December passed back again O Pino to the judicial party of Arzúa.

Initially, at the beginning of the 19th century, when current constitutional councils are promulgated, O Pino didn't have the parishes that it has now. At that time were: Sabugueiro, Pino, Carballal, Castrofeito, Ferreiros (San Verísimo), Ferreiros (San Mamed), Beseño, Dodro, Pastor, Oines, Medin, Gonzar, Lardeiros, Cesar, Barciela and Budiño.

In the Ancient Regime, O Pino had several dependent of six jurisdictions parishes. They were those of Bendaña, Budiño, Cira, Medin, Mesía, Pastor and Lardeiros, all in the Province of Santiago. The distribution was as follows:

Xurisdicción
Parroquia
Señorío
Bendaña Arca Rvdo. Arcebispo de Santiago
Id. Castrofeito id.
Id. Pereira Id.
Budiño Budiño Conde de Altamira
Id. S. Breixo (Ferreiros) Id.
Id. S. Mamede (Ferreiros) Id.
Id. Pino Id.
Cira Cebreiro Id.
Medín Medin D. Diego Leis Riobó e D. Juan Domínguez
Mesía Cerceda Rvdo. Arcebispo de Stgo
Id. Gonzar Id.
Pastor y Lardeiros Lardeiros Marqués de Bóveda y D. Manuel Saco.
Id. Pastor Marqués de Bóveda

If we are in the year 1836, we already found a similar distribution to that remains today. On June 15 of that year appeared in the BOPCO, in the number 138, the composition of the parishes of the municipality of San Vicente do Pino. It was the following

Parroquias
Nº de Veciños
Nº de Almas
Pino (San Vicente) 55 259
Arca (Santa Eulalia) 112 560
Pereira (San Miguel) 49 250
Castrofeito (Santa María) 54 260
Gonzar (Santa María) 118 520
Budiño (Santa María) 75 388
Medín (San Esteban) 52 286
Lardeiros (San Julián) 61 357
Pastor (San Lorenzo) 63 323
Cerceda (San Miguel) 38 180
Ferreiros (San Verísimo) 77 371
Ferreiros (San Mamed) 61 308
Cebreiro (San Julián) 36 180
  TOTAL: 851 4.242

In the composition of the council not occurred subsequent variations. There was an agreement of the Provincial Council of A Coruña in March 1842, on the suppression of municipalities, in which theoretically O Pino disappear and their parishes would be distributed between Arzúa and the new Council of Loxo. This agreement did not become a reality.

On the municipal capital, the historical references are varied. The Madoz tells us that the council celebrates its sessions in the parish of San Vicente do Pino. The Carreras, said that the capital was in Santa Irene, belonging to the parish of Arca. In the various Nomenclators listed as capitals: A Igrexa (since 1860), Santa Irene (since 1900) and Pedrouzo. In this last enclave he stayed several years in the building located in front of the Pilgrim's hostel. Later, in the 1970's it moved to the current building.


Foreign Legacy

Emigration was also a constant in the municipality of O Pino during the first half of the 19th century. There were many families who saw as a son, father, mother, grandchild... suitcase in hand, heading towards his steps, ocean by half, to Latin American lands. Three main destinations: Cuba, Uruguay and Buenos Aires. In the memory of so many people, a constant: its place of origin. That is why one of the concerns, once established, was to try to improve the quality of life of their families and neighbours.

As a result, today we get some heritage testimonials: works that were performed under generous contributions that were recorded at that time. One of the most emblematic cases is the school built by Francisco García Naveiro, in the parish of O Pino. At the beginning of the 20th century is also a beautiful fountain, next to the school. It is dedicated to the father of Francisco García, Antonio García and it has an image of San Antonio. Not far away, stands the majestic Pazo of the Marqués of Monte Sacro.

Also stands out the school that a group of people with their contributions raised in the parish of Castrofeito. The drivers were the brothers Ramón and José Beis Sada. The building dates back to the year 1929. It is located very close to the road that goes from Santiago to Curtis (just a couple of kilometres after leaving behind the Lavacolla airport roundabout).


Coat of Arms and Seal of The Municipality of O Pino

In search of history in relation to possible weapons used by the Council of O Pino, according to a project of coat of arms, writes: "as the Xilografia Section and series of impressions of municipal seals of the National Historical Archive is preserved accompanied by remission trade signed by the then Mayor D. José Ferro, on October 11, 1876 the corresponding to different seals that used up to then by the Municipality and the Mayor's Office to authenticate documents. Seal with a single glass embanked pine has been used since 1845, date which should be very close to the council building as it exists today. His term was created by the aggregation of part of which corresponds to the ancient jurisdiction of Budiño, adding to the parishes de Budiño, Ferreiros and O Pino, adding the parishes of Pastor and Lardeiros".

In compliance with a R.O. of Fomento, on August 30 of 1876, the Civil Governor of Coruña, referred to the head of A.H.N. in September 24 of 1877, the replies received from the mayors of their own province about the stamps that use or had used in its history.

The Mayor of O Pino, on October 11 of 1876 tells the Governor that he forwards him the paper prints in the attached "midio pliego" with the seals of this Council: 1º Teaching Board and Mayor Office’s, which have used to date (the first two in this district, and the last that will be used in the future). Then it come the three seals.

The first is the seal that is used and was purchased in 1845.


The second not specified accurately, although its use is probably from the 1853 or 1854.

SELLO

Currently the shield reflects a tree, as well as municipal seals. Under this last heading, it helps us the history, going back to August 30 of 1876.

 

Name of the Municipality of O Pino

NThe origin of the name of the council of O Pino is not clear. Several years ago a group of researchers of the Cultural Association Chaira, with headquartes in Arca, signed an interesting article in the number 4 of its magazine, “Chaira Writes”. In it, they tried to explain the origin of the term O Pino, making references to the municipal coat of arms, in which appears a pine. According to this group of researchers, for a long time believed that O Pino was a translation of the Spanish word “El Pino”, something wrong, because in Galician would be "O Piñeiro".

In Galician, the word "pine" has several meanings:

  • highest point which Sun, Zenith
  • steep, vertical
  • rise, highlight
  • vertical body position with the head down
  • children’s play
  • bunch

We could even consider a form of a pine with the popular "rocks". It is likely that this form or the "steep" meaning, make the most approximate to the origin of the name of the council.

Estás en Meet O Pino History

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios y ofrecerle una mejor experiencia en la web. Si continua navegando, consideramos que acepta su uso. Puede cambiar la configuración u obtener más información. Para ver más información sobre las cookies haz clik aquí.

Aceptas las cookies de nuestra web.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information